You are asked to write a briefing paper to a new Minister of Education that examines the issues of quality, participation, access and equity within the early childhood sector from
the early 1980s to the present time, and makes recommendations for future directions in light of the increasing diversity of early childhood communities.
The new Minister has no knowledge of the early childhood sector, but s/he understands that planning effectively for the future requires an understanding of the historical, social,
political and cultural contexts that have influenced the development of early childhood education to this time.
Your briefing paper should include:
1. Significant developments, key movements and policies since the 1980s, (including during the Before Five era)
2. People who have contributed to change
3. Key debates and discourses, (including those regarding quality, participation, access and equity) and the nature of their influence
4. Bicultural and multicultural debates including the role and inclusion of Māori and Pacific people and perspectives
5. Recommendations for future directions in light of the increasing diversity of early childhood communities based upon your analysis
Structure for a briefing paper