With the help of well labeled schematics, describe the main features and operational efficiencies of the following jet engines:
- Turbo Jet Engine
- Turboprop Engine
- Turbofan high bypass engine
With the help of well labeled schematics, describe the operation of the High Bypass Gas Turbine Engine.
You are expected to address the following while completing this task:
– Draw a schematic for the 2-spool high bypass engine
– Draw the schematic for an aircraft engine.
– Describe the functions of the inlet and its components such as the fan. Describe the pressure velocity changes
– Give the functions of the compression unit including its various components and their purposes. Describe the pressure velocity changes. Describe the operation of the centrifugal compressor and the axial flow compressor and give the key advantages and disadvantages of each of the compressor types.
– What is engine stall or surge? What are the symptoms of engine stall/surge? Using a schematic, describe how an engine stall occurs and suggest effective methods of avoiding stall and surge.
– Give the functions and requirements for the operation of the combustion chamber. Describe the components of the combustion chamber and their functions. Describe the process of combustion. Using well labeled sketches, describe the three types of combustors (Can, Annular, and Can-annular) giving the advantages and disadvantages of each type. What are the best methods of reducing emissions? Describe the pressure velocity changes
– What are the two types of turbines (centrifugal and axial turbines)? Describe the pressure velocity changes. Describe their operations, components, and their purposes. Give a detailed description of turbine cooling methods and highlight the importance of tip clearance control.
– Describe the operation of the exhaust system highlighting the different types of nozzles. Describe the pressure velocity changes. Using a schematic, describe the operation of any type of nozzles.