Hospital IT system project situation description:
About Hospital management and staff :
Hospital management has been seens as logical and fair. It assumes that projects bring expected result and it is adequate to the invested money and time.
When risks should be taken, it shows middle-range appetite to take the risks in organization – with this attitude to the business and risks it is prepared to implement
technologies. Organization is fast follower in some market trends and sometimes even leader of the trend.
Hospital employees are more or less satisfied with their work. However:
• Mental Health Workers are in need of new resting room for the employees.
• Nurses are in demand of less working hours and precise counting of worked hours.
• Administrating employees are lacking of precise data to implement the productivity measurement system.
• Dietician is usually asking for customer relationship management system to be provided by the hospital.
About project :
IT project is part of general business changes in organization and objectives are to implement CRM system with time management part inside it. Other facts :
• IT project is implemented in parallel with business process changes;
• Result of the project will be a part of wider and more complex existing hospital IT environment;
• Project result in organization has been expected to be a critical „weapon” for serving more customers in the same time;
• Budget of the project – 80 000 EUR (this is only involved personnel time costs) and project due date – within 5 month.
Current phase : Design (all the phases of the project : Requirements gathering- > Analysis -> Design -> Development -> Testing -> Implementation into production ->
Identified problems :
Project has spent 2 month so far and according the status – more 4 month needs to be spent. Project has spent 29% of the budget so far, however according the plans it
should be 22% only.
Business process analysis is not finished yet and is ongoing in parallel. Our IT system changes project and Business process changes project are related with each
other, however used terminology is different that creates incomprehension.
It seems that assumptions and predictions of some team members where too optimistically. Some of the team members want to postpone the deadline, while others think is
better to be prepared for open issues and conflicting questions and be more prepared in next phases.
Load on the team members is bigger than planned and project employees are under stress.
Above mentioned project manager has head injury and is not available for 6 month. Organization is management decides to hire your project management team to finish
the project. Your team that consists of different experts is ready to reanimate project with the information they have. Hospital management says its main priorities of
this project are to launch it within the deadline and in full scope.
1. Prepare project goal, objectives and main deliverables as you see it.
2. Prepare project WBS.