Identify at least (2) two major historical turning points in the period under discussion.
Write a four to five (4-5) page paper on the period from the Progressive Era through the Great Depression.
Your paper should cover the following:
- Identify at least (2) two major historical turning points in the period under discussion.
- Analyze the impact of the two (2) or more major historical turning points selected on America’s current society, economy, politics, and culture.
- Speculate as to why women earned the right to vote in the frontier states of the West before eastern and southern states.
- Describe at least two (2) pieces of legislation in the Roosevelt–Taft–Wilson progressive era years that have influenced the conduct of business to this day and what that influence has been.
- Explain the role that the Spanish American War played in America’s development of an Empire.
- Explain at least two (2) ways in which the boom and bust of the Roaring Twenties followed by the Great Depression affected the federal government’s involvement in the national economy.
- Include at least two (2) references (sources) other than the textbook. At least one (1) of your sources must be obtained from the collection of databases accessible from the Learning Resources Center Web page. Generic encyclopedic Internet resources such as Wikipedia or Answers.com will not be considered acceptable.
Student note: Points one (1) and two (2) above are separate from the rest of the assignment.
The paper should follow guidelines for clear and effectively organized writing:
- The paper is well organized, and every explanation is both complete and easy to understand.
- Include an introductory paragraph and concluding paragraph for the paper.
- Main ideas should be addressed in body paragraphs with a topic sentence and supporting sentences.
- Adhere to standard rules of English grammar, punctuation, and mechanics.
- The paper should be checked for spelling and grammatical errors.
The format of the paper is to be as follows:
- Typed, double-spaced, Times New Roman font (size 12), one-inch margins on all sides, APA format.
- In addition to the four to five (4-5) pages assigned, a title page with the title of the assignment, your name, the instructor’s name, the course title, and the date is to be included, as well as a Reference Page.
- Sources documented using APA style for in-text citations and listed on the References Page using APA style format.
The assignment will be graded using the following rubric:
- Recognize the major turning points in American history since the Civil War.
- Analyze how historical events shape America’s current society, economy, politics, and culture.
- Describe ways that women and minorities have responded to challenges and made contributions to American culture.
- Recognize and discuss the ways that formal policies of government have influenced the direction of historical and social development in the United States.
- Analyze the rise of the United States to a world “super-power” and how that status has shaped its internal developments in recent decades.
- Identify how changes in social and economic conditions and technology can cause corresponding changes in the attitudes of the people and policies of the government.
- Utilize critical thinking skills, and write clearly, coherently, and persuasively on a topic or topics related to American history since the Civil War.
- Use technology and information resources to research issues in the field of American history since the Civil War.