Online Food Safety Discussion;
Respond to the following prompts to complete your Online Food Safety Discussion (earn 1- 25 pts). Your post must be composed in full sentences, grammar and spell checked, and approx 350 words in length. Answer all the numbered prompts in paragraph format using YOUR OWN WORDS and following all instructions to earn full credit. You must explain all your answers–‘yes’ or ‘no’ responses will not receive credit. Shoddy, last-minute posts are not likely to earn full points.
Start by choosing a news article about a recent (within the last 5 years) food borne illness outbreak at the following website:
Food Safety News: http://www.foodsafetynews.com/sections/foodborne-illness-outbreaks/#.VcUObWarSUk
Your example must be an outbreak that occurred due to a particular food, not an outbreak that occurred at a buffet or restaurant with no specific origin. Although most outbreaks are mentioned in several different articles, you must NOT choose an outbreak that has already been discussed in your online discussion group. (Listeria and Salmonella have been discussed) You will need to find other web sources that mention your particular outbreak. Once you have gathered enough info, address all of the following questions in COMPLETE SENTENCES:
1. (3pts) When did your outbreak occur, what was the microorganism that caused illness and what food carried it.
2. (4pts) How many people become ill during this outbreak? Did anyone die? What are the symptoms of this illness? What is the time to onset of symptoms?
3. (4pts) What was the response to this outbreak? Was there a recall? If there was a recall, how much food was recalled? What was the monetary worth of the recalled food?
4. (2pts) Why is this food susceptible to food borne illness?
5. (2pts) What can be done to help prevent future outbreaks in this food?
6. (2pts) Be sure to include the URL from your article as well as citations for your other sources.