ou have just been hired as the new property operations manager of the Xavier Hotel. The GM has called you in to her office and shared with you the new direction of the company and the need to become eco-compliant. The GM tells you that you need to perform an efficiency audit and make recommendations to meet the new environmental standard set by the corporate office.
So to do well on the GM’s new assignment you should include a reasonable dollar value associated with all proposed upgrades for cost savings.
(As an example of proposed savings: If you save 12 gallons per person per day with your improvements and your operation has 375 rooms and is occupied 67% of the time with 1.4 people per occupied room, how much is your annual saving in gallons and dollars? The cost of potable water is $5.72per 1000 gallon in Providence.)
The Questions to Answer:
Describe in detail what you would propose to the GM to do with the property to increase efficiency, and reduce waste for the following categories:
1. Discuss the reduction in gallons used per occupied room i.e. what is a normal usage per person and how can it be reduced.
a. To reduce the use of water find out what steps can be taken to reduce the use of water both structural (changing fixtures) and program wise (water saving programs).
b. What would the subsequent savings be on an annual basis in dollar$? Give the GM a calculation of your proposed changes and how much will the hotel save on an annual basis. How much would the changes cost for all 375 rooms?
2. In the course of a normal lodging operation electricity is used for: lighting, vertical transport (elevators), pumps, refrigeration and multiple facets of HVAC.
a. What can be done to systematically maximize the efficient use of electricity without affecting the comfort of the customer? For example change out inefficient light bulbs, outdated equipment, preventative maintenance etc.
b. Calculate the proposed savings in the reduction of the cost of electricity based on the cost of updating equipment or labor to do preventative maintenance.
c. Include the return on investment (ROI) made to improve efficiency.
d. ROI = (gain from investment – cost of investment) / cost of investment
3. What can be done to improve the efficiency of heating and cooling for the Xavier Hotel with 375 rooms?
a. How can facility managers ensure that their property HVAC expenses are under control with escalating oil, gas & electricity costs?
b. What can be done to increase efficiency of the equipment both used for generation and distribution?
c. What can be done to minimize unwanted heat-transfer and increase the R-value (thermal resistance).
• The assignment is to be done in proper research paper format (introduction, body and conclusion).
• Address the three categories: water, electric & HVAC under separate headings and answer the questions as detailed above.
• Use MLA guidelines in terms of proper in-text citations, proper works cited and paper format.
• A minimum of 3-industry sources are to be referenced (such as journals and industry/professional websites).
• STRONG CAUTION: You can reference a source and use quotes to form your argument, however direct CUT & PASTE of material without proper documentation will result in a ZERO grade.
• This assignment must be submitted through Turnitin on the due date. The assignment will not be accepted any other way.