I really need this assignment today at 11:45PM easter.
Read through the syllabus below, then think about these questions:
What learning objectives are most relevant to you and why?
What skills or competencies are you excited about acquiring as a result of this course and what do you hope to do with them?
Which topic are you least excited about and why?
In one to two pages (250 – 400 words) respond to the prompts above and add any other comments or questions that you may have about the course.
RICHARD M. FAIRBANKS SCHOOL OF PUBLIC HEALTH
COURSE TITLE: Operations Management and Quality Improvement in Healthcare
COURSE NUMBER: PBHL H345
This course provides an overview of healthcare operations management with an emphasis on quality improvement. Several process improvement methodologies and tools will be presented and applied to actual hospital operations management issues. In addition, learners will complete a personal process improvement project.
BSHSM PROGRAM COMPETENCIES ADDRESSED IN THIS COURSE:
1. Communicate effectively with diverse stakeholders, including public health and health care professionals, individually and in group settings using verbal, written, and electronic modes of communication
2. Use statistical and other quantitative analysis tools and techniques to understand issues and problems in health care organizations and systems.
6. Participate in developing and implementing plans and policies to improve the delivery of health services.
7. Work individually and within a team-setting by applying organizational knowledge and leadership skills.
8. Recognize and demonstrate sensitivity to diverse points of view.
9. Seek principled solutions to health services delivery issues.
IUPUI PRICIPALS OF UNDERGRADUATE LEARNING (PULs).
(** Indicates major PUL for this course)
Core Communication and Quantitative Skills
Learners will understand and remember how management science and process improvement developed and why they are important for future healthcare leaders.
Learners will evaluate which principles, skills, and tools learned in class should be applied to a personal process improvement project.
Learners will analyze and evaluate data and information in order to understand major work flows in healthcare organizations.
Learners will evaluate which data is relevant, what graphic representation is most useful, and will create appropriate graphs.
Learners will create a plan, implement it, analyze the data, create graphic representations, and evaluate the results in order to improve processes.
Integration and Application of Knowledge
Intellectual Depth, Breadth, and Adaptiveness
Values and Ethics
1. Learners will understand and remember how management science and process improvement developed and why they are important knowledge bases for future healthcare leaders.
2. Learners will understand the tasks and purpose of project management and be able to compare and contrast it with the tasks and purpose of process improvement.
3. Learners will understand and remember at least three process improvement methodologies, be able to evaluate which methodology would be most effective in a given situation, and be able to apply the methodology appropriately.
4. Learners will evaluate which principles, skills, and tools learned in class should be applied to a personal process improvement project.
5. Learners will analyze and evaluate data and information in order to understand major work flows in healthcare organizations including patient flow, scheduling and capacity management, and supply chain management.
6. Learners will create a plan, implement it, analyze the data, create graphic representations, and evaluate the results in order to improve a process.
REQUIRED OR SUGGESTED TEXT AND/OR READINGS
Required Text: McLaughlin, D.B. & Olson, J.R. 2012. Healthcare Operations Management. 2nd ed. Chicago: AUPHA/HAP. ISBN-13: 978-156793444-1